[kde-community] Have repo maintainers opt-in for github mirroring (was: Re: Official KDE mirror on github)

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Sep 18 21:37:54 BST 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
<kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> Am Freitag, 18. September 2015, 17:12:12 schrieb Boudhayan Gupta:
>> Ladies and gentlemen, as you read this mail github.com/kde is being
>> populated by the initial sync of all repositories.
>
> Pardon for the late input, missed the dynamic of the people behind this idea
> (and actually expected it would be shot down, at least to me it seems not a
> good idea to add value to a proprietary platform by also adding our source
> code there).
>
> Can we please only mirror those projects whose maintainers are okay with the
> added workload due to another public interface which allows interaction from
> 3rd-party? Too many people will not get that this is only a mirror, even if
> you put it in bold there. Or worse, not accept it is a mirror, because their
> time is more valueable than the time of the maintainers of course.
>
> I have no time (and actually also no interest) to care for people poking via
> github (incl. the time needed to redirect them to the real official KDE
> infrastructure and any bad vibrations because having to argue why I/we do not
> support github really). Other people might have that time and interest, so
> their decision.
> But I don't. I joined KDE for some reason and am doing my FLOSS software
> development here, because of certain values.
> Same would be true for sourceforge.net, gitlab.com, code.google.com (okay,
> dead) or whereever else some people think we should mirror because it's where
> "the people" are currently.
>
> So as maintainer I would like to have at least the repos of Okteta,
> libkoralle, cagibi removed from the official KDE github page.

Sorry, but an incomplete mirror would cost additional effort to
maintain, as sysadmin would have to maintain a list of repositories
which were blacklisted.
Note that because a chunk of the code that drives this is in bash, it
is not easy to create such a list easily.

Additionally, an incomplete mirror would be confusing to those who
expect the mirror to be complete - so this blacklist would result in
Sysadmin receving queries of "why isn't this repository on Github?".

I suggest you instead put a clear notice in the README file noting
that patches and other code contributions should be submitted via our
usual infrastructure.
If people do ignore that notice and submit stuff via Github pull
requests, they can be handled by the bot suggested on the other thread
- or simply ignored (as the person failed to read our instructions).

> Cheers
> Friedrich

Regards,
Ben