[kde-community] Let's kill Jovie/KSpeech

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Wed Sep 9 16:44:08 BST 2015

Hey all,

As the subject says, I think it's time to retire/kill Jovie. It served
its purpose and has been replaced by QtSpeech (as optional
dependencies all over the place). As seen here [1] only one more place
that we release from for Applications 15.12 is left and I pushed a
change to konq-plugins today that ports it from KSpeech to QtSpeech,
so nothing is using KSpeech any longer except for the caveats listed
below.

A. Okular master branch is using KSpeech still, frameworks branch
isn't so Jovie can't die until okular's frameworks branch is merged to
master branch for release.
B. KDE-baseapps frameworks branch is using QtSpeech, but master branch
is still kdelibs4/KSpeech based. What is the timeframe for merging
kde-baseapps frameworks branch to master branch?

thanks,
Jeremy

1. http://lxr.kde.org/ident?_i=KSpeech&_remember=1