[kde-community] Phabricator: Make it happen already!

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Sep 7 09:13:09 BST 2015

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Boudhayan Gupta <bgupta at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,

> On 5 September 2015 at 01:47, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
>> From my perspective at least, we will be migrating at the very least
>> off of projects.kde.org (Chiliproject / Redmine). Considering the
>> level of integration, it is extremely likely we'll be moving off of
>> reviewboard.kde.org (Reviewboard) and todo.kde.org (Kanboard) as well
>> to Phabricator.
>
> I have small concern here, regarding the move away from ReviewBoard.
>
> When I sent in my first patch to KDE, I was able to go from git clone
> to submitting a patch in less than an hour, simply because to use
> ReviewBoard I didn't have to do anything special, simply sign up for a
> KDE Identity and upload the diff.
>
> I'm concerned that with Differential, one will have to do a lot more
> than just sign up for an Identity and upload a diff to get started.
> The barrier into entry might be a bit more complicated than the
> current process.

The barrier to entry should be left unchanged, and potentially lowered.
Phabricator permits you to upload diffs using either the web
interface, or using Arcanist.

Additionally, Phabricator can (through it's Herald application) set
the appropriate reviewers automatically - so people don't need to be
aware of existing groups/developers to get reviews started.

> -- Boudhayan

Cheers,
Ben