[kde-community] Renaming KScreenGenie

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Mon Aug 24 20:08:31 BST 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 7:48 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:
> When I said part of Plasma, was aiming at KDE workspace, not part of
> plasma-* package. I don't believe it will be popular amongst Gnome,
> MINT, Elementary, etc. users, right?

KSnapshot was popular for a ratpoison user, me, for instance as I
could not find any better application when I needed more than a
fullscreen shot. For that purpose, I found a command line util, but
not for the rest.

> Just the same as Gnome Music will not be used by us.

I, for one, like some gnome applications. Speaking of the music area,
a good example would be solfege. For me, it matters more that the
application does what I need. I do not mind mixing things for
achieving my goal. I am not a purist.

So my thought is that the wider the software is used, the merrier. I
do not draw borderlines. Therefore, having two applications called the
same way would be confusing for me to refer to as a user. Also, it is
possible that "(K)Snapshot" gets to mobile one day. I understand that
it would be mostly a rewrite from scratch, but the "brand" could still
be held.

Perhaps, my email is very confusing, so the summary is that I prefer
individual names, personally. I am still unsure what exactly the
problem was with the original name that the maintainer chose as it is
not yet indicated in this thread. If it does not cause any legal
issues, etc, and it is really just about "choices, choices", then I
would suggest to leave the name with the maintainer. After all, he
will maintain that application and so he needs to be happy with the
name.