[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Valentin Rusu valir at kde.org
Mon Aug 17 21:53:13 BST 2015

* Jos van den Oever <jos at vandenoever.info> [2015-08-17 09:51:02 +0200]:

> On Monday 17 August 2015 09:43:04 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > People even get pissed that we're not on github, github is, after all the,
> > Official Git Place. They don't trust a git repo that's not on github...
>
> In real life, I very often have to correct people who conflate git and github.
> Github was very successful in hijacking git. That's a big achievement, but
> having one big player is not healthy for the ecosystem and its inhabitants.
>
> The network effect is the big enabler here. GitHub, just like Facebook,
> Windows, and more recently WhatsApp, grew because people felt they could not
> avoid it. (I left out political examples ;-)

Just my 2cents. Github is not in the same game as Windows from a
political standpoint. Like the other apps/systems you mentioned, Github
shares the simplicity, the ease of use. It's very easy to have a Github
account, then simply fork that repo if something bothers you. You fix it
for you, then eventually make the pull request. No fancy workflows or
overengineered processes here. That's key to public adoption. That's the
opposite of politics ;-)

--
Valentin Rusu
IRC: valir