[kde-community] Updating TechBase Getting_Started pages

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Mon Aug 17 19:37:59 BST 2015

On 17 August 2015 at 18:42, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> I think kdesrc-build is a bit of an overkill for the "Build an app only using
> packaged Qt and KF5" scenario.
>
> I find it easier to just clone, cmake and make than having to learn how to use
> kdesrc-build.

Yeap, still thinking around that, want to try write it both ways and
see what is easiest. However if they then want to do a second and
third app, and then maybe mess with Plasma and Frameworks, then they
already have the skills. I'm just wary of the big mess the old docs
developed into with 23 different ways to build things and various
scripts to put in your .bashrc and envvars to be set depending on
where things were and... Yeah, so I want to try keep it a single very
simple, easy, clean, repeatable way of doing things if possible. Just
checkout this one repo, run this one command with this config file and
these flags, you're done. And if we can identify an even easier
workflow with simpler commands that wraps around kdesrc-build then
that is just as cool.

John.