[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Aug 17 11:16:39 BST 2015

On Monday, 2015-08-17, 09:12:18, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Monday, August 17, 2015 08:55:57 AM Jos van den Oever wrote:
> > On Monday 17 August 2015 07:46:44 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > > Hi community,
> > >
> > > over the last months I observed the following:
> > > * people not finding our git repositories
> >
> > Searching on ixquick:
> > 'calligra git' https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Git
> > 'kde git' https://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual
> > 'kwin git' https://github.com/faho/kwin-tiling
> > 'plasma git' https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development
> >
> > Searching on Google:
> > 'calligra git' https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Building/2
> > 'kde git' https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git
> > 'kwin git'
> > http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2014/04/kwin-moved-to-an-own-reposit
> > ry/ 'plasma git' -> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plasma-desktop-git/
> >
> > On google the highest link to github was in position 4. Not too bad.
> >
> > There was no link to https://projects.kde.org/ or
> > https://quickgit.kde.org/
> >
> > What part of the KDE infrastructures can be fixed to make the repositories
> > easier to find?
> >
> > > * people being surprised that our code is not on github
> >
> > This is good moment to educate them on the ideals of KDE.
>
> Yes certainly, I start with lecturing a potential new contributor </sarcasm>

I know, sarcasm tag and all, but that is not what Jos was saying.
Educating doesn't imply lecturing, laying out reasons for decisions that
resulted in a situation can be done in a non confrontational or belitteling
way.

Not all potential new contributors will be developers of proprietary software
who just happen to use our software in some way.
Some will be developers specifically interested in contributing to FOSS but
they might not have thought about the problem of proprietary services yet.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring