[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Aug 17 08:53:06 BST 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Bhushan Shah <bhush94 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for starting this thread.
>
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Jos Poortvliet
> <jospoortvliet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Monday 17 August 2015 07:46:44 Martin Graesslin wrote:
>>> Hi community,
>>>
>>> over the last months I observed the following:
>>> * people not finding our git repositories
>>> * people being surprised that our code is not on github
>>> * some projects starting to use github in addition to our own
>>> infrastructure
>>>

> In my opinion first two are too wrong arguments to begin with.. If our
> repositories can not be found from outside then it requires
> improvement from our side. Putting source code on Github is not going
> to solve this problem. Even if people will use github to search
> projects eventually they will have to use our infrastructure to
> contribute. And about people being surprised that our code is not on
> Github, it is really clear that Github is _not_ standard place to get
> open source software.
>

>> I'd say the main benefit of Github is that it makes it easy for the many
>> developers used to it to do a pull request - effectively widening our
>> potential contributor base. Some might send in one or two minor pull
>> requests, not being interested in becoming regular contributors, others might
>> be convinced, after a few patches, to join KDE and then get on our
>> infrastructure.
>
> On other side it will be hard project management wise to monitor two
> places for new patches/contributions.. and eventually people will
> start to report bugs or issues there and that is going to be mess.. It
> will be like someone fixes bug on our infrastructure just to realize
> in end that someone sent pull requests on github.
>
> Also there are some problems with Github that I am sure going to make
> our sysadmins life little bit harder, like email address verification
> and stuffs like that. We have seen this problems when importing code
> from the Github.
>
> So, In short IMO there is nothing wrong with having Github mirror but
> that should be read-only and we should have real reason to do it.
> Currently sysadmins are reworking our git infrastructure. So lets wait
> little bit and see how it goes and then think of this.

Note that no mirror on Github would permit writes except from the
canonical git.kde.org server. Otherwise it isn't a mirror - but an
independent repository.
If Pull Requests were to be left enabled (which would be opt-in per
repository if we did it at all), the KDE developer(s) in question
would have to fetch it from Github then push it to KDE Infrastructure
to accept it.

> Thanks!

Regards,
Ben