[kde-community] Trademark clause in the Manifesto

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jul 28 17:50:21 BST 2015

On Tuesday 28 July 2015 09:37:40 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> I don't think it says that, but I also don't think that it can work like
> this. If I disappear or disband the Krita Foundation (which owns the
> trademark), then how would this transfer be implemented? It's probably
> something that will be specific for each situation, but as it is, I'm
> totally unsure how this is supposed to work in practice.

Another aspect is to consider the difference between a registered trademark and
a non-registered one. Registered trademarks ® are regulated Intellectual
Property, for which one pays a fee and has rights and duties. It can only be
ceded through a proper contract. I'm not sure a verbal contract or the
manifesto would serve, here.

A non-registered trademark ™ is just anything you claim as an identifying
mark.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358