[kde-community] Trademark clause in the Manifesto

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Jul 28 08:37:40 BST 2015

Hi,

I had a long discussion with Clemens yesterday after the Evolve BoF
session about the trademark clause in the commitments page linked from our
manifesto, and I'm not sure we don't actually do have a problem here.

This is the text:

If the authors of the software abandon it or disappear, they agree to
transfer the trademark to the next maintainer

Clemens originally interpreted this to mean that on joining KDE a project
has to transfer the trademarks to KDE e.V. and that on leaving KDE (which
could happen...) the project maintainer loses the brand associated with
the project.

I don't think it says that, but I also don't think that it can work like
this. If I disappear or disband the Krita Foundation (which owns the
trademark), then how would this transfer be implemented? It's probably
something that will be specific for each situation, but as it is, I'm
totally unsure how this is supposed to work in practice.

Boudewijn