[kde-community] Wikipedia is a game?! What can we learn for KDE?

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sat Apr 25 10:08:22 BST 2015

Hey folks :)

As part of Evolving KDE I've been looking at other communities and how
they're doing. And I stumbled upon the video of a talk again that I
want to share with you.

Last year at Wikimania (Wikimedia's version of Akademy) I had the
pleasure of talking for 2 hours with Raph Koster (lead designer of
Ultima Online among others) over beer. We talked a lot about how
Wikimedia can learn a lot from game design. The next day he gave an
excellent talk about how Wikipedia is a (bad) game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzuc6B0awLU (starts roughly at minute
54)
It's interesting to see how much of what he talks about can also be
applied to KDE.

Cheers
Lydia

PS: If you have not taken the time to fill out the Evolving KDE survey
yet please do: http://blog.lydiapintscher.de/2015/04/18/evolving-kde/
It's important that we get input from many core people in our
community.

KDE e.V. Board of Directors / KDE Community Working Group
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org