[kde-community] stackexange site for krita

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Thu Feb 26 22:45:53 GMT 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Dweeble <dweeble01103 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 08:19:39 -0500, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:

>>> I don't see where this is so much better than what exists - to me it
>>> looks
>>> like a forum without sub-forums, where (at least on the LO and Ubuntu
>>> sites)
>>> not that many people vote and "answers" are basically posts.
>>

>> Sorry, but this is simply not true. You can say that questions and
>> answers, with comments left around, look like forum, but that is not
>> the intended goal of these Q/A sites. I personally do not like the end
>> resulf of the forums. There is a lot of messy noise left around for
>> the posterity. It is a bit challenging to go through all the posts and
>> grab the important bits. It is possible, but it is not ideal.
>>
>> Now, coming back to your observation, if that is what you observed on
>> SE, that is sad. I have seen it many times myself, too, though that
>> noisy comments are left around, which were useful for the time, but
>> not after submitting the "final" answer.
>>
>> On the contrary, forum is more like a different form of mailing list
>> or IRC for me, where the discussion can be publicly pinned down. But
>> that is quite different from only concentrating on the "end result".
>>
>>> And
>>> surprisingly considering the size of the Ubuntu community there aren't as
>>> many answers as I would have expected.
>>

>> Fair enough and that is not just the AU community. It is an overall
>> issue for many technology areas on SE.
>>
>>> I would think making the existing facilities better would be more
>>> cost/labor
>>> efficient and imo and what would be a worthy  goal in supporting the
>>> community would be is to provide responses to all questions asked on the
>>> Forum, if one looks at the number of unanswered questions that number
>>> should
>>> not be considered acceptable.
>>

>> Yes, I agree.
>>
>> There is also the thing that the LaTeX Stack Exchange and
>> latex-community.org experts say: you cannot answer every questions
>> either if many questions are very low quality.
>>
>> Stack Exchange is a commercial entity with closed source software
>> (although "open" database to be fair) and their own business model. I
>> do not think it is inline with KDE's vision, but the KDE community may
>> disagree with me, for sure.
>>
>> Either way, Stack Exchange has been known among many experts that it
>> would mostly concentrate on quantity to sell to their customers. They
>> can show all the fancy stats to their customers that "we have now X
>> million questions, etc". This is one of their policy decisions which,
>> while I respect, I do not agree with.
>>
>> Let me please get back a bit to the "First Google results are Stack
>> Exchange results, beating even the official documentations, so it must
>> be really cool".
>>
>> To make my opinion clear and explicit, I think it is disadvantageous
> [...]

This is a new activity as far as I am aware. Remember that KDE is not
a mandatory job for living in case of the most people in here. We do
it because we like it. Most of us do it spare time beside the time,
energy, money and resource consuming main job, family life, other
hobbies, etc. Therefore, people will pick what they like. My
preference may be contributing to a Q/A site as opposed to a forum and
your preference may be different. Guess what? Both are fine; nothing
is wrong in my opinion. :-)

In other words, people will either spend their time with what they
like or they will move away. It requires special management in
projects like this to deal with this. In a paid job, your employer may
give you the direction, vision and obligation that you need to cope
with or leave, but in open source projects in spare time, you pick
what you personally like.