[kde-community] KDE office (was: Your KDE highlight of 2014?)

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Dec 29 17:34:22 GMT 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi. Let's put a nice "KDE Community" logo on the doors, done.
>> After all we're educating rest of the world what KDE means, this is
>> one more opportunity to do that.
>
> It's not quite that simple unfortunately as Aaron explained.
> Also it takes two to make this happen: KDE e.V. and BlueSystems. If
> we're serious about this and if BlueSystems is even considering this
> then let's talk and do this properly.

Or we can just call it a "Free and Open Source office" on the other
hand, I don't think we'll break any trademark with that. Having a KDE
sticker on the door is not that different to having it on my laptop's
lid. Also I don't think this conversation is taking us to a happy
productive place.

I think Jonathan referred to the office as a "KDE office" because it's
been an amazing place for things to happen during 2014. 7 out of 12
sprints in 2014 happened here and it's been a meeting point for the
KDE community in Barcelona, and to some extent, it's helping to make
some things happen. At the moment, it's just a BlueSystems office that
welcomes anybody coming from the KDE world, which makes it a KDE
office in our hearts, but not on legal terms.

Like Lydia said, we could foster the relationship further. But to what end?
If the KDE eV wants to have offices for actual development meetings it
should be discussed within the KDE eV first and decide the terms,
which might end up being very different to BlueSystems, who organized
an office to fit its needs first of all, keeping in mind that it is in
the best BlueSystems interests to have a healthy KDE community.

Aleix