[kde-community] Your KDE highlight of 2014?

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Mon Dec 29 12:58:14 GMT 2014

Hi all,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:

> Hey folks :)
>
> 2014 is coming to an end. This gives us some time for reflection. What
> are your KDE highlights of 2014? A team that kicked ass? A really good
> release? An event where you made great new friends? Something entirely
> different?
>
> My personal highlight of 2014 is that we have an amazing visual design
> and usability team that really gets what KDE is all about and makes
> our software look great and ready for many more users.
>
> Sadly I couldn't attend many of the awesome events listed, so I have only
one to mention, but it was definitely a highlight: Randa!

As for KDE software: did I ever tell how much I love Dolphin? Being forced
to use Windows for work (*sigh*) and struggle with what they call a "file
manager" I am so grateful for Dolphin that not only works like a charm on
Windows (thanks to all people involved making this happen) but makes
proprietary file managers look very poor :)

And a big thank to all the usability people working in the KDE community:
you really do an awesome job at making our projects usability the top of
the list. Usability like we have it is really good for the user, giving
them great software to use and still letting them doing what they want to
do with it.

I haven't used Windows for many, many years and was forced to use it again
recently. Unlike KDE it really didn't get better over the years, the only
things they improved is all the awesome desktop features they "borrowed"
from KWin and Plasma ;-) There are so many things we do better in KDE,
starting with dual monitor setups (try to get a persistent dual setup on
Windows 7 that is not just clones, forget about it) to Activities and
multiple desktops and, and, and... We truly show that Free Software is not
only better for your freedom but better for the user and their work flow. I
have yet to find a proprietary product that is better than a free one, so
far all lost in comparison.

So to sum it up: I truly have one highlight of the year, and that is KDE :)

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org