[kde-community] KDE office (was: Your KDE highlight of 2014?)

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Thu Dec 25 02:23:20 GMT 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 11:52 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 08.17:58 Laszlo Papp wrote:
>> Let us get this off-topic out of the highlight thread...
>>
>> > This gave me the idea, why not setup other KDE offices, by sharing space.
>> > I would be very interested in making that happen here in south west of UK
>> Well, living on the south east of England (London, Cambridge,
>> Brighton, etc), I am sceptical even here whether this would be
>> sustainable
>
> Sustainable or not, I would expect there to be concerns with people
> independently setting up offices branded "KDE". Assuming KDE cares about its
> brandname and reputation, it's a pretty risky precedent to start rolling.
>
> Having shared / open work spaces for people with common interests such as KDE
> is a great concept and can (and does) work ...

Aaron,

I am not trying to write that it cannot and does not work elsewhere. I
was particularly referring to this region. If you think it is possible
to make it work in this area, feel free to share your thoughts for the
potential future growth in here. My concerns are the following:

* This is, unlike Spain and some other places, is very expensive.
Renting an office would not be so cheap, so the income must be higher
coming from KDE contribution.

* There are not many interested people as far as I can see.

> using the KDE trademark as the label for them, though ... .. .

I personally think people can work on and under the umbrella of KDE,
however it is called, as long as it is sustainable. I do not have
strong opinions about the legal aspects and public appearance (or
however it is called) as long as a sustainable solution can be found.