[kde-community] FOSDEM Organisation

Jos Poortvliet jos at opensuse.org
Wed Dec 17 18:58:53 GMT 2014

valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Woah. I never thought I would hear such things here.
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
>> <pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:
>> > John,
>>
>> There are many reasons women don't submit talk proposals. One of them
>> is the perceived unfriendly, unwelcoming nature of the conf. I'm not
>> saying that FOSDEM *is* unfriendly or unwelcoming to women. However,
>> it certainly has that reputation.
>

> Really? I was absolutely not aware of that, and I have attended FOSDEM
very often in the past. Is there any links to why you state that FOSDEM is
unfriendly and unwelcoming? From my personal experience I certainly can't
confirm that!

> Please everybody, can we not extrapolate from events where discrimination
happened and which led to the elaboration of as CoC to that all events by
default are unwelcoming and unfriendly? And as mentioned by other FOSDEM
regulars: there is a social policy in place which answers pretty much all
the objections I could have.

> I am very surprised at the assumption of FOSDEM being a bad event, really.

Keep in mind that bit is a big event, attracting people from many
communities which don't all talk much to each other. The reputation of
ridden among PHP web developers might very well be wildly different than it
is among 3d printer builders and again different among kernel hackers...