[kde-community] FOSDEM Organisation

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Tue Dec 9 00:21:41 GMT 2014

The last decades Computer Sciences have lost women across the board, from
being a steadily rising curve it is now lower than it was in the 80's (1)
Women in STEM sciences are low but in many other areas this is slowly getting
better because the age old excuse of "well women don't really want to" doesn't
hold muster when the natural question "why?" is asked.

Earlier you asked about female dominated areas like child care for example -
the same are true for them, the attempt is to find more men to enroll in
educations for example (a drive that has worked rather well here for example).
The reasoning isn't so the girls taking those classes could socialize or find
dates (I am actually pretty certain not a one argued for that eventual
benefit) - its because it enriches the area when there is
1) more people (adding women does not mean kicking out an equal amount of
men of course.
2) people from different backgrounds behave differently in situations. More
minds thinking about a problem from different angles = new ideas and
solutions.

For example there are female showers at hostels not because the owners
think that women are better hostel guests than men or that they want to
implement a "genderocracy" (a term I think is a rather apt description of what
we're living under now) but because they want more guests and not having
seperate showers tend to drive people away.

Finally the Code of Conduct is not just about women, its about LGBT people,
people of color etc. AND white straight men too of course.

(1) From Wp http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-computer-programming-was-womens-work/2011/08/24/gIQAdixGgJ_story.html?hpid=z3