[kde-community] FOSDEM Organisation

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Mon Dec 8 22:33:50 GMT 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Alex Merry <alex.merry at kde.org> wrote:
> As Valorie said, if you want more female talk submissions,

I am afraid that I am personally not yet sure whether I wish that. I
am not going to those places and events to see beautiful ladies, get
dates later and the like. What I personally would like is the most
qualified submissions. Whether that happens to be from a male, female,
etc, that does not matter so much to me. When I visit these
conferences I would like to have the best technical experience and
then the socialization as the secondary trait. Even then, I do not
mind what gender I am socializing with.

I hope that this effort for fixing the "gender ratio" will not
compromise the quality of the conferences. I personally believe more
in meritocracy than "genderocracy". Therefore, I would rather put the
effort into attracting world-wide and recognized industry and
community experts than ladies just for the sake of being females.

I agree about the CoC, however, gender independently. This is not such
a big concern for me, but I appreciate that if it is for some other
people. I have personally never seen the QtCS, Qt dev days, etc, code
of conducts either and they were amazing events. Qt dev days in Munich
(2011?) had many ladies around, too. Either way, If the organizers can
do something to make the attendants feel comfortable without too much
extra work, I think they ought to try.