[kde-community] Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is.....

Peter Grasch peter at grasch.net
Sun Sep 14 11:59:09 BST 2014

Hi David,

On Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:56:17 AM David Wright wrote:
> I did have the idea that I mentioned on here a while back of possibly
> setting up a job board, so people can apply for jobs, or submit their
> details (current occupation and experience etc.) if they're not sure where
> they would be useful, so they can be guided into certain areas. It would
> make promotion easier as well as you can just promote the one job, and one
> link. I think a more anonymous, and formal process might be better for some
> people, especially those with less confidence.
Yes, that is kind of a smiliar thing, although I think it's important to not
make this process too formal. After all, we're still predominantly a community
of enthusiast and if we take this too seriously, we're not gonna attract those
kinds of people. That's also why we went with "Mission" instead of "Job", btw.

> There are software packages that can handle this kind of thing already;
> however it would be better if it were properly integrated into the kde.org
> website rather than another bolt on. I am currently trying to come up with
> a plan for consolidation the would take this sort of thing into
> consideration. There is also the problem that some of these things are more
> events than jobs, so again this is something that needs thinking about.
Yes, I personally agree that f.k.o may not be the best place to put this. The
problem with making this more integrated is that it needs considerably more
effort and I'm not sure we have the developers for that at the moment.
In any case, I don't think this should be a blocker. We could always migrate
away from the board afterwards as well.

Best regards,
Peter