[kde-community] KDE/Linux-able netbook

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat Sep 13 23:27:05 BST 2014

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 08:02:12 AM Carl Symons wrote:
> Half an hour later, he tweeted:
> Suggestions for a linux-able netbook? Cheap, great battery life, 500gb
> HDD (or user-upgradable). Wimpy CPU/GPU is fine.

Once upon a time we had Hettes here in .nl, which was a company specialized in
providing Linux laptops. They ceased operation because they could no longer
get Windows-less laptops, so the Windows tax basically priced them out of the
market. The recent decision in Italy might reverse that.

Anyway, I bought my laptop from them about 3 years ago.

It's a (previous generation) Lenovo ThinkPad x121e and it's excellent with
Linux. 6-8 hours battery, AMD E350 inside. I've upgraded it with more memory
and replaced the HDD with an SSD -- ThinkPads are good for user-upgradability.

Nowadays there's the x131e, usually with Intel, and I'm not sure how
compatible that is. Intel is *usually* just fine.

I'd buy another of these x121e in a snap (if I needed one).

[ade]