[kde-community] Congratulations to the new e.V. Board! and fostering creativity

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 08:35:00 BST 2014

I just made a new blog post about creativity [1], based on the book
I'm reading, Creativity Inc., by Ed Catmull, President of Pixar. The
last bit is for all the leaders in KDE. This doesn't mean just the
board of the e.V., by the way. The leaders in KDE are those who have
volunteered to maintain packages, mentor students, moderate the mail
lists and forums, become channel ops in IRC, write the promo articles,
release notes and announcements, do the artwork, write the
documentation, keeps the wikis accurate, helpful and free of spam,
organize sprints and other meetings such as Akademy, translate our
docs and internationalize our software, design and build-in
accessibility, staff booths, and many other responsibilities such as
serving on working groups and other committees.

These are shared responsibility we carry to one another, and what
keeps our community healthy.

"It is management's job to take the long view, to intervene and
protect our people from their willingness to pursue excellence at all
costs. Not to do so would be irresponsible.... If we are in this for
the long haul, we have to take care of ourselves, support healthy
habits and encourage our employees to have fullfilling lives outside
of work" says Catmull. This is the major task of the e.V. and
especially the Board, in my opinion, and of course the task of the CWG
as well.

Valorie

1. http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.cz/2014/09/creativity-and-kde.html

--