[kde-community] A change of heart

David Wright david.wright12886 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:36:18 BST 2014

Yes, I'll be the first to admit that the software is not perfect. Regarding
performance, I believe that's something they're actively working on
improving, and the last update in April this year did a lot to address
those issues (blog post here about it
http://bpdevel.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/one-of-the-primary-focuses/).

The wiki that's built-in with the commons is rubbish, no doubt about it.
It's part of the more useful group documents feature. Interestingly I
believe the CUNY website itself has MediaWiki embedded in it (
http://commons.gc.cuny.edu/wiki/index.php/Welcome_to_the_Academic_Commons_Wiki)
which they do using this:
http://dev.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2009/05/21/new-mediawiki-extension-wpmusinglesignon/
from what I can see. But more investigation would be needed.

Spam is something I can't comment on really, but I'm sure there are options
for that.

Really the point is though, from a community standpoint, what direction is
KDE headed at the moment? Where is it going to be in five years time? I'm
sure KDE could continue with the current setup and happily tick along,
tweaking things here and there, but is that progress?

There is a goal with this, an aim, and that's to try and increase community
participation, attract new and younger users (the developers of the future
hopefully!), and more importantly to give people a reason to keep coming
back! If we can do that then hopefully we can increase the donation amount,
and generally encourage more people to contribute to KDE.

Saying all that, it could be a huge, hated flop. ;-)