[kde-community] Closing the kde-core-devel mailing list

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 11 19:14:51 BST 2014

On Monday, August 4, 2014 20.36:44 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> Random Idea: How about we close the k-c-d mailing list? It's main purpose
> used to be to discuss kdelibs changes, but now since we have
> kde-frameworks, the mailing list seems less useful. We already have
> kde-devel for other generic kde stuff.

Not a good idea imho, and not only for the valid reasons others have already
expressed in this thread.

The frameworks list made sense for a while, when the idea was to not disrupt
others with what was a pretty new and difficult effort, but that ceased being
true a while back.

Closing k-c-d would not only be a needless heaving of tradition overboard[1]
we'd have to figure out what to do about everyone who is subscribed. Mass
subscription is possible, but for what purpose? And who gets to deal with all
the questions about it that will inevitably arise?

What about all mentions in blogs, other emails and probably even devel
documentation out there?

A more real problem imho is that kde-frameworks-devel has become a review
board ghetto. The vast majority of traffic is review board. k-c-d is only
marginally better. This drowns out "normal" discussion and makes both lists
less attractive to be on if you aren't a core contributor. This is not unlike
how in the past using mailing lists for bug report CC's drowned out some
lists.

What would be nice imho is to have one list that is just review board requests
(and move all the workspace related review requests to plasma-devel or to its
own RB list) and another that is for actual non-patch-based discussion.

Design discussion will be easier and it won't feel like standing in front of a
fire hose when you join k-c-d or kde-frameworks-devel just because you want to
get a bit involved.

[1] culture matters, and culture centers around customs

--
Aaron J. Seigo