[kde-community] Fundraising

Jens jens at ohyran.se
Fri Jul 11 11:58:04 BST 2014

> At the same time, I found it _impossible_ to interest media in the Krita
> kickstarter, even though we were in the top-ten software projects pretty
> much all the time, a kickstarter staffpick and the most popular Dutch
> kickstarter during the entire campaign.
>
> It's only on Tuesday that I'll have an interview -- and that's still for a
> computer magazine, not an art magazine. I will mention KDE, of course :-)

This has been a pet peeve of mine - the issue is to get journalists (not Linux
bloggers) interested. One way was to point out figures like "we have so-and-so
many users" another to be really noisy and "revolutionary" some drama for them
to hook a story onto.

Lets be frank with design and art the OS field is almost entirely stacked in
Apples favour and doubly so when it comes to art and design critics and
journalists that use the tropes of the field they love as a substitute for the
real deal (this is my personal thought of it btw ;) )

We need to work on newspapers - I've planned on really gutpunch the
journalists in Cap & Design here in Sweden which is fairly broad and has a
good reach based on the work of the VDG especially. Since the project is
rather odd in nature I thought it might get some tractions but the feelers
I've thrown out (just a few feelers nothing serious from my part yet) has told
me that the second I say "Oh not on Apple or for iOS" they duck back...

But I'm sure there must be a way to make headway there.