[kde-community] Proposal to change to kde.org/download text

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jul 10 21:46:46 BST 2014

El Dimarts, 8 de juliol de 2014, a les 19:55:12, John Layt va escriure:
> [...]
> user support forums.
>
> You can try out KDE Software on Linux without changing anything on
> your computer by using a <Linux Live CD or USB stick>.
>
> [h2] Windows
>
> Many KDE Applications are available for Windows XP, Windows Vista and
> Windows 7 using the <KDE Windows Installer>.  Some KDE Applications
> are also available as <individual downloads>.  The level of Windows
> support available may vary for individual applications.
>
> For more information visit the <KDE on Windows home page>.
>
> [h2] Mac OS X
>
> Most KDE Applications are only available for Mac OS X by using the
> <MacPorts>, <Fink>, or <HomeBrew> package managers.  These
> installation methods are not recommended for most users.  Some KDE
> Applications are also available as <individual downloads>.  KDE hopes
> to provide more user-friendly installation methods in the future.
>
> For more information visit the <KDE on Mac home page>.
>
> [h2] Source Packages
>
> All KDE Software is <Free Software> with the source code freely
> available for anyone to download, modify, build, and distribute in
> accordence with the terms of <our licences>.  You can obtain tarballs
> for any release from our <download servers>.
>
> For more information on building KDE Software from source visit the
> <KDE TechBase>.
>
> [h1] KDE Software
>
> [h2] KDE Applications
>
> The KDE Community develops a wide variety of <applications> which can
> run under any supported operating system or desktop environment.
> These may be released as part of the regularly scheduled KDE
> Applications releases, or may be released independently.
>
> The latest <KDE Applications> release is <version 4.13.2> which was
> released on 10 June 2014.
>
> [h2] KDE Plasma Workspaces
>
> The KDE Community develops Desktop, Netbook and Tablet workspaces for
> use on Linux and BSD systems.
>
> The latest <KDE Plasma Workspaces> release is <version 4.11> which was
> released on 14 August 2013.  This is a Long Term Support (LTS) release
> that will be supported with bug-fixes until after the release of
> Plasma 5.  The most recent LTS bug-fix release is <version 4.11.10>
> which was released on 10 June 2014.
>
> [Add at Plasma 5]  The Plasma 5.0 desktop was released on 7 July 2014.
> While this is a stable release, it is not yet recommended for general
> use.
>
> [h2] KDE Development Libraries
>
> The KDE Community develops many libraries and tools for software
> developers which are used to build the KDE Applications and KDE
> Workspaces.  Other developers are free to use these for their own
> applications under the terms of our licences.  See the <KDE TechBase>
> for more details.
>
> The latest <KDE Development Platform> for use with Qt4 is <version
> 4.13.2> which was released on 10 June 2014.
>
> The latest <KDE Frameworks> for use with Qt5 is <version 5.0.0> which

Looks sane to me

> This may still need editing down, as the intent should be to fit on a
> single page, or at least the platform download links section should.
> The Windows and Mac details may be better placed on a separate wiki
> pages where we can easily change the list of installers, but that
> increases the number of clicks required.  The alternative is listing
> them all on this page (mostly Krita, Marble, Digikam?).
>
> The Package Policy page at
> http://www.kde.org/download/packagepolicy.php page has a level of
> detail that should be on TechBase instead, and its FAQ section strikes
> me as rather unprofessional in places and should be removed.

Who links here?

$ wcgrep packagepolicy.php
./announcements/announce-3.1.php:216:  the <a
href="http://www.kde.org/download/packagepolicy.php">KDE Binary Package
./announcements/announce-3.1.1.php:96:  the <a
href="http://www.kde.org/download/packagepolicy.php">KDE Binary Package
./download/index.php:75:<a href="packagepolicy.php">KDE Package Policy</a>
first.</p>
./download/menu.inc:3:$this->appendLink ("Binary Package Policy",
"packagepolicy.php");

And we actually don't host binaries on our download servers anymore, so i'd
suggest to just kill it

> The CDROM page at http://www.kde.org/download/cdrom.php page seems
> archaic and is empty so should either be deleted or replaced with a
> list of Live Distros running off USB or CD.  A wiki page may be a
> better option for such a page?

Kill it, nowadays almost every other distro has a runable cdrom so just link
to distributions.php instead of cdrom.php

Cheers,
  Albert