[kde-community] Proposal One: KDE (Core) Apps and Suites

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Thu May 1 13:57:00 BST 2014

> There are a few reaons to sync releases:
>  * Most of the devels of "KDE Applications" apps don't want to do the
>  releases
> themselves after 15 years of a release team doing it for them
>  * Having synched release schedules for "KDE Applications" like we have done
> for 15 years allows me to know easily if an application is on freeze or not,
> if suddenly as a developer I have to keep track of 160 different release
> schedules, count me out of doing fixes in those apps.
>  * We have lots of applications with "no real maintainer" but I can still go
> there, fix something that is i18n related and know it will be release next
> month with the next "KDE Applications" release, with your plan of "everyone
> releases its own stuff" my fix would never reach the user.
+1 :)

I can only say, with my Kate maintainer hat on: I have enough time, to fix the biggest faults,
shout on people breaking the compile & tests, do some reviews and port Kate from KDE x to y.

I don't have the time to think up release dates and package releases.

I appreciate the work the KDE release team does in that area since ever!

And I really think per application releases are just overkill for most applications.

At the moment, I am happy to know: If somebody has KDE SC x.y installed, he has the state of Kate
from that time.

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com