[kde-community] LinuxTag 2014

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Mon Apr 14 14:33:27 BST 2014

I'll be giving a presentation about Marble as a LinuxTag speaker  btw ...

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: [kde-community] LinuxTag 2014
Datum: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 14:56:41 +0200
Von: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com>
An: kde-community at kde.org

Hi all,

I'll organize the LinuxTag Booth this year. LinuxTag, taking place during May
8-10, is different this year - they have partnered with Droidcon and
Re:Publica for their event, moved to a new location. Brand new!

I have proposed to do something different than a normal booth, too. I'm
involved with KDE, openSUSE and ownCloud so I thought the three could do
something cool this year

The plan is this: We get an area with a few rows of chairs and a projector.
Every hour, we host a 45 minute workshop there. Examples:
* testing Linux distro's with openQA
* writing an ownCloud App
* Building a basic QML Plasma App
The schedule will probably be: 10-12 and 13-17, so ~6 talks/day.

People get something for participating - nothing big, just a few nice
thingies like a USB stick and a bottle of Club Mate

On the sides of this area, we have our booths: the traditional table with
material and somebody around to ask questions from.

All this should of course make 'our' area much more interesting and give
opportunities to talk to people.

LinuxTag liked the idea, so did the openSUSE board, KDE and ownCloud so they
all tasked me with making it happen.

Now I need you. I need volunteers who are willing to give a short workshop on
an KDE subject. Building a Plasma Next applet is an obvious example, so would
be "writing a basic KDE Application" or "QML for newbies". The idea is to
mostly give a taste - in 45 minutes you can't do that much.

Each volunteer gives one workshop per day, three times in total thus. You'll
also be at the booth a bit but we have >6 people for one/two tables so that
won't be much either. Plenty of time to enjoy LT and you also get access to
the Re:Publica exhibition area! Note that we can take at most 2 volunteers
(but if you give a talk you get in anyway).

Anybody interested? If really needed, there is some travel budget available
from e.V.

So, who's in?

Cheers,
Jos