[kde-community] Future Git Plans

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Feb 18 16:45:15 GMT 2014

On 18 Feb 2014, at 7:45, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> I tried working with github for a project, using a workflow of
> reviewing each commit.
> I personally really disliked it for creating a merge commit for each
> commit, that just
> clutters up the history (try looking at any github project with a few
> contributors).
>
> Is this the same with gitlabs or can it cherry-pick after successful
> reviews?

I'd have to check, but I think you can either have it give you the info
to cherry-pick, or it can do a merge for you. Don't quote me.

However, I do want to point out that the GitHub workflow is designed for
topic branches. If each topic branch has a single commit, then it will
create a merge commit for each merge request, sure, so you have tons of
1-commit branches. But often, there will be a topic branch containing
many commits, and then when you're done you submit a merge request for
the whole branch. At that point it should just be a single merge commit
when accepted.

--Jeff