[kde-community] Future Git Plans

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 13:02:27 GMT 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Frederik Gladhorn <gladhorn at kde.org> wrote:

> I tried working with github for a project, using a workflow of reviewing
> each commit. I personally really disliked it for creating a merge commit
> for each commit, that just clutters up the history (try looking at any
> github project with a few contributors).
>

> Is this the same with gitlabs or can it cherry-pick after successful
> reviews?
>

> On the other hand I find dealing with reviewboard quite cumbersome and
> thus this option still looks better to me.

Fwiw, the Review Board guys are working on a push-based review system,
bascially a gerrit with RB interface. This is a set of extension scripts
usable with RB 2.0, which brings many other features as well, you can watch
a video of it here: http://vimeo.com/86448355. Also, we can even wire our
own "Push" button into RB, it's quite simple from what I understood and
could merge patches for us without needing to do "git push" ourselves
everytime.

I would personally very much prefer to stay with RB if possible, plus the
devs are really awesome and helpful.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer