[kde-community] Future Git plans

Jeff Mitchell jeff at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Feb 14 17:30:03 GMT 2014

Hello KDE Community,

Several years ago when transitioning to Git the sysadmins evaluated
several possible options, including GitLab, Gitorious, Gitolite, and
Gerrit. At the time, GitLab was quite immature in terms of code,
community, and documentation. After evaluating options, we chose
Gitolite, and built a suite of other services and helpers on top of it.

Gitorious has come along since being purchased by Powow AS, but still
lags behind other solutions. Gerrit is still geared towards very
specific code-review workflows and has an interface that is very
difficult to grasp for more novice users. Gitolite is absolutely
wonderful software, but it does one specific thing; we've set up a large
number of other scripts, web servers, and web applications to address
the things it doesn't do but that our community needs.

However, in the intervening years, GitLab (https://www.gitlab.com/) has
advanced tremendously, due in part to the thousands of eyeballs it's had
on its source code while gaining major footholds into the Git hosting
market. It has gained documentation, features, an API, and a great deal
of stability and maturity to its code base.

Due to its feature set, GitLab alone could take the place of at least
projects.kde.org, commits.kde.org, quickgit.kde.org, and -- due to the
built-in merge request workflow -- reviewboard.kde.org, drastically
easing management and maintenance burden for the sysadmins. If the
built-in wiki and issue tracking capabilities are enabled (which can be
managed per-project), then projects (especially self-contained ones,
such as Extragear projects) that desire a highly integrated workflow
could migrate those functions to GitLab as well (note that this is not a
statement indicating that we are planning to ditch Bugzilla any time
soon!).

Replacing Gitolite with GitLab would have a number of benefits from the
user perspective too, versus having all of those features spread across
multiple different sites. I strongly encourage interested parties to go
to http://demo.gitlab.com/ and browse around. (One benefit that is not
immediately apparent is support for HTTPS as a protocol for pushing
commits).

This replacement could require some minor changes to workflows based on
the models that GitLab vs. Gitolite supports. However, the sysadmins
feel that the benefits outweigh the burden of transition. The concrete
and specific difference that is likely to cause the most pain is that
personal forks and private repositories are handled very differently
from Gitolite; during the transition period, we would likely require
users to themselves migrate any clone/scratch repositories to the new
system that they would like to keep. A benefit to this is that a
majority of the clone and scratch repositories are currently forgotten
and unused, and this would act as a spring cleaning.

This email serves two purposes: one, to inform the community of the
direction we would like to go with KDE's Git hosting and request
feedback; two, to ask for volunteer projects that are willing to act as
crash test dummies for the new system, helping us figure out the best
way to set it up, work out kinks, etc. Due to the bleeding-edge nature,
we're currently limiting this to self-contained projects, such as those
in Extragear.

Thanks,
Jeff