[kde-community] Future Git Plans

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Feb 15 11:28:39 GMT 2014

El Divendres, 14 de febrer de 2014, a les 22:52:04, Jeff Mitchell va escriure:
> (Sending from the proper account this time)
>
> Hello KDE Community,
>
> Several years ago when transitioning to Git the sysadmins evaluated
> several possible options, including GitLab, Gitorious, Gitolite, and
> Gerrit. At the time, GitLab was quite immature in terms of code,
> community, and documentation. After evaluating options, we chose
> Gitolite, and built a suite of other services and helpers on top of it.
>
> Gitorious has come along since being purchased by Powow AS, but still
> lags behind other solutions. Gerrit is still geared towards very
> specific code-review workflows and has an interface that is very
> difficult to grasp for more novice users. Gitolite is absolutely
> wonderful software, but it does one specific thing; we've set up a large
> number of other scripts, web servers, and web applications to address
> the things it doesn't do but that our community needs.
>
> However, in the intervening years, GitLab (https://www.gitlab.com/) has
> advanced tremendously, due in part to the thousands of eyeballs it's had
> on its source code while gaining major footholds into the Git hosting
> market. It has gained documentation, features, an API, and a great deal
> of stability and maturity to its code base.

Would we be using the https://www.gitlab.com instance or installing one of our
own?

> Due to its feature set, GitLab alone could take the place of at least
> projects.kde.org, commits.kde.org, quickgit.kde.org, and -- due to the
> built-in merge request workflow -- reviewboard.kde.org,

I see in http://demo.gitlab.com/gitlab/gitlab_git/merge_requests/23 at the top
right there is a "0 up 0 down". Is this votes? Is there some kind of ACL on
who can vote on Merge Requests?

Also, do you guys know if anyone has deployed gitlab in something as big scale
as the lots of repos and users we have?

Cheers,
  Albert