[kde-community] licence policy updates

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Feb 14 16:02:03 UTC 2014

Hi Jonathan,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> I've made some proposed changes to the KDE Licensing Policy
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy/Draft
> Most significant is the inclusion of GPL 3+ as an option in response
> to a request by GCompris and a desire voiced by a few people not to
> treat it as an exception.
> Our current policy is designed to allow maxium code reuse around KDE
> and beyond, allowing GPL 3+ would mean some code could not be reused
> in GPL 2+ code without a relicence, but as pointed out this problem
> already happens when moving GPL 2 code to platform.  The policy has
> nothing to do with whether GPL 2 or 3 is more or less commercially
> acceptable.  Given a blank sheet I'd pick GPL 3 every time as it
> prevents DRM lock-in and patent abuse.

Would it be possible to incorporate this important information in some
way into the infrastructure? I think it would be useful when deciding
about licenses. I believe the more we can do for aiding the selection
for our developers, the better.

More information about the kde-community mailing list