[kde-community] Request to join the Kde incubator for GCompris

Thomas Zander thomas at thomaszander.se
Thu Feb 13 18:16:21 GMT 2014

On Thursday 13. February 2014 13.42.15 Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> > Although
> > I'll only agree to it if you promise not to change the name
>
> Hi,
>
> I did not mention that point and yes I agree with you, GCompris has
> build a worldwide reputation under that name. Our users don't know and
> don't care which underlying toolkit it is build on.
>
> For those who don't know it, GCompris is a pun word, in French it is
> pronounced 'j'ai compris' which means 'I have understood'. One may think
> that the 'G' means Gnome or Gtk but the 'G' in GCompris means Gnu and I
> forgot to mention that GCompris is officially a Gnu project:
> http://www.gnu.org/education/edu-software-gcompris.en.html

I am sure that in KDE this is not an issue, please refer to the manifest for
details on expectations.
For instance that the primary code repository is on KDE and access to it is
managed by KDE. Which typically implies very open access to any kde developer.

Would you have any idea what the response is from gnu about a GNU-project
using Qt and/or kde libraries?

All in all, this sounds like an exciting project and one that I think fits well
in the KDE community.  The only down side is likely that all those old-farts
from my generation of KDE devs now will have even less time left ;)

--
Thomas Zander