[kde-community] Windows licenses

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed Jan 22 07:07:13 GMT 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:35 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 20 January 2014 23:20:48 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Has anyone tried to contact Microsoft to get KDE included in their
>> non-profit program?
>>
>> I got confirmation from Claudia the KDE eV does comply with the requisites
>> for German organizations (attached are the terms)
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/about/corporatecitizenship/en-us/nonprofits/whos-el
>> igible/
>>
>> This could give us licenses for Windows (desktop and server) and Visual
>> Studio for free (and suually more software too). The Windows Server
>> licenses could be used for Jenkins build machines.
>
> Could this be used to provide a virtual machine (or a remote login server)
> with all the Qt/KF5 build setup, so that devs not having Windows at all could
> easily test their changes?

I do not see why not.

Although, it is better IMHO to have separate machines for mingw and
msvc since they can go haywrite together in my experience. Perhaps
even a separate machine for the pacman and archlinux Windows port if
someone wants to experiment with that.

PS.: For me, the KDE remote desktop stuff has not worked all the time,
but rdesktop works nice (probably other clients, too). Perhaps, it
would give the opportunity of fixing issues for the KDE desktop
utility. :)