[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Jan 20 19:12:34 GMT 2014

On Monday, 2014-01-20, 18:29:16, Martin Sandsmark wrote:

> The current kcalc UI is very good, I often use it for stuff like bit
> fiddling, etc. I can't say the same thing for the calculator plasma applet.
> But please feel free to prove me wrong and make the plasma calculator much
> better than kcalc. But I'd argue very strongly to not replace kcalc until
> the replacement is visibly better.
>
> The obvious downsides things being replaced would suffer from, thanks to the
> immature state of the desktop components, and not including the previously
> mentioned obviously broken components; dreadful performance, no proper
> accelerator management, no form layouts, and poor QStyle support (both
> Oxygen and QtCurve has worked around some of them now, though, but I doubt
> it will be good for a long, long while).

QtQuick.Controls is just one possible option for using a QML compatible
application core. If a QtWidget UI is better for whatever use case then this
is doable by just importing a QtWidget based component set and making sure
that whatever loads the QML has an QApplication instantiated (insteead of just
a QGuiApplication).

A Plasma applet, a QtQuick.Controls applications and a QtWidgets application
can use application classes. Even use them identically if the application
classes are in a QML plugin and the object instantiation is done by a QML
engine.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring