[kde-community] QtCurve

Yichao Yu yyc1992 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 13:53:34 GMT 2014

Hi,

My name is Yichao Yu (yuyichao). I started to use KDE as my main DE
about one and two years ago and started contributing to some KDE
projects soon after including konsole, kdelibs, dolphin etc..

I have recently (about half a year ago) adopted QtCurve[1], a highly
configurable theme engine for Qt3, Qt4, Qt5, KWin4 and Gtk2. For those
who don't know QtCurve yet, it is the theme engine used by more than
half of the widget themes on kde-look. The project was started by
Craig Drummond in (or before) 2006 and is now included in most
distributions.

I would like to move QtCurve to the KDE infrastructure for several
reasons. Besides the most obvious ones like making use of the repo,
wiki, bug trackers etc. :
- As a KDE friendly cross toolkit style engine, this will help me and
future QtCurve developer to keep up-to-date with API changes in KDE
(e.g. the shadow handling change in 4.8 and the appmenu support in
4.10).
- It will also make it easier for KWin developers to make sure their
API changes "are sane", especially for the KF5 port.

Personally, I have always been hoping to join the KDE community and
get involved in the development more. I was not very sure whether
QtCurve can fit into the KDE community since kdelibs is just a minor
optional dependency and I'm still working on making it to work better
outside KDE. However, Martin (the KWin one...) convinced me that KDE
is not just a collection of softwares that links to kdelibs or can
only run in KDE (the desktop environment) and that's the reason I'm
sending this email.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Yichao Yu

[1] https://github.com/QtCurve/qtcurve