[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Sun Jan 19 22:42:58 GMT 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 11:55:13AM +0100, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> this is not really related at all, and i hesitate to engage in the topic here
> due to loss of topical focus.

It was merely to illustrate a point, that switching to QML is not a simple
process, and it seemingly takes us over a year (at the very least, since we
still aren't close) to reach feature parity with the old solution.

Therefore I think it's useless to move existing, nicely working applications
(like kcalc) to it for seemingly no good reason at all.

> have you worked with the Qt5 QML2 desktop components?

Yes, I've been playing with the desktop components in Qt 5.2. Hopefully they
will get a lot better before we release anything using them, though, because
things like the file/folder selector is basically unusable in the current
state, at least on the systems I've tested it on.

--
Martin Sandsmark