[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 18:48:23 GMT 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:43:42AM +0100, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> We’ve had plasma-windows for ages now which runs plasmoids in their own
> independent window like a mini application. For apps like ksnapshot and kcalc
> the results would be identical or nearly so (kcalc would require support for
> putting a menu[bar] somewhere, or reorganizing how those particular features
> are presented).

How would they look and feel? I'm not overly fond of the way widgets in
plasma look (and if I had Eike's super vision I could probably point out
what's wrong and fix it, probably something with the alignments and
gradients), and they don't follow my normal widget styling.

On a related note, the new plasma based lockscreen is still not up to par
with the old non-plasma one (keyboard focus is still flaky I just noticed
again, for one, and widget styles that try to draw a background needs to add
a hack). So I think it's a bit naïve to think that it will be an easy task to
make stand-alone plasmoids that can replace the normal applications.

So while I don't really see the reasons for replacing applications like KCalc
with stand-alone plasmoids, I see a couple of reasons not to.

--
Martin Sandsmark