[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Jan 18 13:50:38 GMT 2014

On Friday, 2014-01-17, 12:05:51, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Friday, January 17, 2014 09:21:29 Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > Right. Or I imagine that there could be a PlasmaAppletView class or
> > similar
> > that can be used in a small launcher executable

> That's pretty much what plasma-windowed does (modulo some setup of
> KDeclarative, etc.). Disadvantage of a binary-per-app would be that it
> requires compiling, with a generic "app shell loader thing" (like plasma-
> windowed), you can write whole apps without compiling anything, so making it
> really easy to write, and deploy, no setup of development environment, etc.

Right. I was mainly addressing this from the point of an existing application
such as KCalc, i.e. an option on how to provide the usual application.
As an alternative to a plasma-windowed based Exec line, with the additional
potential to do some UI around the Plasma based content, e.g. menus.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring