[kde-community] Proper KDE SDK - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Fri Jan 17 23:58:14 GMT 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:

 > Where can I find the CI scripts? If someone could give me access to
> Jenkins
> > and give me a little introduction to what's already in place for CI, I
> can
> > probably help with automating the SDK generation so that it's available
> from
> > the Qt SDK Maintenance Tool.
>
> The CI scripts are located at websites/build-kde-org on git.kde.org,
> in the "production" branch.
> Please let me know if you have any questions on what they do.

How does one start? I've set JENKINS_SLAVE_HOME to where I cloned that
repository, and run setup-env.sh, but it fails with:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tools/prepare-environment.py", line 21, in <module>
    load_projects( 'kde_projects.xml', '
http://projects.kde.org/kde_projects.xml', 'config/projects',
'dependencies/logical-module-structure' )
  File
"/home/pgquiles/personal/software/kde/kf5sdk/build-kde-org/tools/kdecilib.py",
line 886, in load_projects
    with open(moduleStructure, 'r') as fileHandle:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'dependencies/logical-module-structure'

(and indeed that file is not in the repository, nor has it been downloaded)

I have also skimmed over the configuration for several of the repositories
and I've noticed a few potential problems:

   - If we want KF5 to be available for Qt SDK users, we should compile
   with exactly the Qt version Qt SDK ships. Otherwise, we may face ABI
   problems. But that means compiling everything *again*.

   - What about compilation for Windows and Mac? It seems there are no
   Jenkins slaves for those platforms. Or maybe I didn't read enough?

   - I am a bit worried about dependencies. Qt SDK does not need to care
   about dependencies because there are very few dependencies and they can be
   contained in Qt Core. KDE, on the other hand, has a lot of dependencies.
   Either I add a new component ("Third-party dependencies") with a long list
   of subcomponents (each third party library), or I include dependencies with
   each KF5 add-on (which will quickly grow into a problem, as it would need
   tracking which KF5 module provides which depedency). I am open to other
   suggestions.

   - Is there a test build machine I could use once I have something useful?

Thank you

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org