[kde-community] KDE Essential Applications - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 18:44:50 GMT 2014

On Friday 17 January 2014, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> Just to be clear: Organizing applications in task/workflow-based sets is
> of course still a far cry from the task-centric UI vision we presented,
> and of course we'll still see standalone applications for the
> foreseeable future. Maybe they will co-exist with "Flow Components" or
> whatever why may call these building blocks, maybe an application can
> exist both as standalone and as part of a flow.

yeah, but since this is the direction, i just wanted to raise this point,
since to me this is a very fascinating problem, trying to fit together things
that seems mutually exclusive and unconciliable is very interesting.. it
challenges assumptions ;)

> That also means that, as sebas suggested, an application/package can be
> part of more than one set of applications. Of course, distributions can
> create meta packages any way they want, but since all distros I've tried
> offer meta packages for the current modules, it seems that packages
> welcome the categorization we offer them.

so basically instead of one SC, there will be software collections, of which
applications may belong to many collections..
marble would belong to the Education collection.. but also to Travel for
instance

--
Marco Martin