[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 21:54:43 GMT 2014

El Dijous, 16 de gener de 2014, a les 22:13:58, Kevin Krammer va escriure:
> On Thursday, 2014-01-16, 22:07:17, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El Dijous, 16 de gener de 2014, a les 12:05:17, Aaron J. Seigo va
escriure:

> > > KRunner will do this for you, actually. If you type “calc”, and the
> > > plasmoid runner is installed, you’ll get a match offering to run the
> > > plasmoid in a window. Well, it doesn’t  actually *say* that, since
> > > that’s
> > > jargon, but that’s what the match does.
> > >
> > > For plasmoids suited to being run as an app they should also install a
> > > .desktop file with this command in it so that it is completely
> > > transparent
> > > to the user.
> > >
> > > All of the above occurs in Plasma Active, so we know it works well from
> > > technical POV.
> >
> > Can you start it from the command line?
>
> plasma-windowed can be run from the commandline, e.g.
> plasma-windowed org.kde.networkmanagement

That's a bit too long vs "kcalc", but i guess you could always install a shell
script file in /usr/bin/kcalc that just runs "plasma-windowed
org.kde.calculator" inside.

So basically there's no difference between a plasmoid and a non-plasmoid?

If that's the case, I don't understand why John started the discussion if we
should favor plasmoids over non-plasmoids or viceversa since it seems to me
"plasmoid or not" is an implementation detail.

John?

Cheers,
  Albert