[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 21:07:17 GMT 2014

El Dijous, 16 de gener de 2014, a les 12:05:17, Aaron J. Seigo va escriure:
> On Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:46:33 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Thursday, 2014-01-16, 10:43:42, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > I also thought about plasma-windowed when reading that :)
> >
> > However, I think it is one of those "hidden gems" that nobody knows about.
> > I've had questions like "can I run $applet stand-alone" on the user
> > support
> > lists a couple of times and plasma-windowed was the answer.
> >
> > Its drawback currently is that it is not very easy to figure out what to
> > pass as its commandline argument.
>
> KRunner will do this for you, actually. If you type “calc”, and the plasmoid
> runner is installed, you’ll get a match offering to run the plasmoid in a
> window. Well, it doesn’t  actually *say* that, since that’s jargon, but
> that’s what the match does.
>
> For plasmoids suited to being run as an app they should also install a
> .desktop file with this command in it so that it is completely transparent
> to the user.
>
> All of the above occurs in Plasma Active, so we know it works well from a
> technical POV.

Can you start it from the command line?

Also "in my mind" something that i can start from the command line and creates
it's own top-level window is not a plasmoid. But from reading your emails
seems it is for you.

Can you share with us your definition of plasmoid so we are all on the same
terminology?

Cheers,
  Albert