[kde-community] KDE Essential Applications - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 12:31:59 GMT 2014

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:15:05 Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> But I don't think that "Scuba-diving C++ programmer" is going to be a viable
> metapackage any time soon.

No, but it could be a “Sports and Fitness” metapackage. There are a remarkable
number of such apps for Android, for instance. (Well, remarkable at least to
me ... :)

Did you know there is a running app that simulates being in a zombie
apocolypse? There’s a whole multi-month workout routine built around this
story line and it’s quite popular. It even has multiple “seasons”  of
storyline now!

If we had a “Sports and Fitness” metapackage that only included a scuba-diving
app right now, it might inspire people to think about the possibilities and
create more apps in this category.

tl;dr -> This approach of having metapackages for everything might be a
positive thing, even in the odd cases of “single entry” packages.

..and of course, if there was just only “Sports and Fitness” application on
git.kde.org, distros could merge with apps from other projects as you noted
about “hobby photographer”.

--
Aaron J. Seigo