[kde-community] Plasmoids and Apps - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 11:12:47 GMT 2014

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:47:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:35:29 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > I think this is really not the way we should discuss things. Accusing
> > Albert of insulting anybody is not necessary, accusing him of doing it
> > out of ignorance is clearly against our code of conduct.
>
> Fine; so when someone says “I need to minimize all my other apps to see the
> desktop to see it” and that is blatantly false, how would you like me to
> respond?

I think your further explanation was just fine, but the bit about insults and
ignorance was unnecessary to explain that point.

To me "don't force plasmoids down my throat" doesn't read insulting towards
Plasma creators, John offered the idea (and I didn't get the impression that
John felt particularly insulted by it -- correct me if I'm wrong though). It
was a reply to John's crazy ideas. (Where crazy clearly means "good".)

The bottom line is that it would have been easy to *not* take this personal.

> That particular statement has been used for years and I’ve
> patiently corrected it time and again, and it is still used to justify
> things like “don’t force this down our throat”. That is not fair play.

Just to point out the obvious, while it might be human to lose patience, it's
not OK, and certainly not helpful.

> It seems that CoC applies to me, while it’s cool for Albert to say things
> like  “don’t force plasmoids down my throat”. Yay for double standards and
> not having any sort of expectation of fair play.

That's not my impression at all. The CoC applies to everyone, and even if
someone doesn't keep to it, that's not a justification for someone else to
ignore it.
--
sebas