[kde-community] Proper KDE SDK - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 08:43:27 GMT 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:00 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>

>> > * Can we create a "proper" KDE SDK?  We have the SDK module which is
>> > really a mix of general development related apps and KDE-specific dev
>> > tools, and we have Examples, and we have a few other bits-and-pieces
>> > scattered around.  Can we split the apps off to stand on their own
>> > repos in Extragear, and merge Examples and the other tools into SDK?
>>
>> We can, it just needs manpower ;-)
>

> I think I have been asking for a KDE SDK for the last 7 years :-)
>
> KF5 should make that easier, given that there are many "small" parts.
>
> Another idea: let's make the different parts of the SDK (Tier 1 components,
> Tier 2 components, etc) available from a repository that could be integrated
> in the Qt SDK Maintenance Tool.
>
> This task is very time consuming (lots of rebuilds and tests) but it
> shouldn't be too difficult from a technical point of view. It essentially
> requires CMake knowledge. Jenkins knowledge and access to a powerful build
> machine would be a plus. It's a pity GSoC is so far yet :-/

I'd suggest this get integrated into our existing CI scripts to make
it easier to perform when needed - they already have 99% of the
structure and other necessary capability to build all of the
frameworks. I'd advise against doing this as part of a GSoC project
however - other than producing the necessary metadata to make the
"repository" there wouldn't be too much to actually code...

The repository in question can probably be distributed via files.kde.org.

> --
> Pau Garcia i Quiles
> http://www.elpauer.org
> (Due to my workload, I may need 10 days to answer)

Thanks,
Ben Cooksley