[kde-community] Retiring applications - was - Re: Applications in KDE Generation 5

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 00:37:15 GMT 2014

El Dimecres, 15 de gener de 2014, a les 21:47:17, John Layt va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> * A number of our apps and utilities really have had their day and
> need "retiring", e.g. KsCD, Kppp, KFloppy.  There's no point keeping
> low-quality or unmaintained apps around just to try ship a "complete
> desktop experience", especially if there are other better apps out
> there (even if not KDE ones).  Being part of the official release
> should be a stamp of quality: make apps work for it.  Lets go through
> the existing apps and agree what needs dropping to Extragear or
> Unmaintained.

I am not conviced by that, we probably still have some users for that and i'm
pretty sure some of those apps still get roaming fixes from people, if you
move them out from the "apps we release on each release", you'll end up with
the K3b situation, an application that has had bugfixes but hasn't had a
release in ages so noone is beneffiting from those bugfixes because there's
noone around that has enough "power" to do a release.

Cheers,
  Albert