[kde-community] Applications in KDE Generation 5

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Wed Jan 15 21:15:25 GMT 2014

John Layt wrote:
> One other thing I would do is change our app lifecycle slightly.  I'd
> introduce a new status of Deprecated that lies between Released and
> Unmaintained, for apps like Kopete and KPPP that are no longer
> relevant for most people or are being replaced, but may still have
> limited use and so need to be kept alive for a while.  I'd envision a
> new lifecycle metadata attribute that looks something like
> Experimental -> Incubator -> Stable -> Deprecated -> Unmaintained,
> with only Stable apps eligible to be included in the regular
> Applications release cycle.

Just my 2 cents here: I would be careful with this kind of lifecycle. An
application with low activity (almost unmaintained) can be still stable for a
long time, given our committment to binary compatibility. This is true
especially for small applications, but it is something that should be considered.

Also, I would be careful to use the word "deprecated" for applications like
Kopete, where Ktp has not covered all the functionalities (yet); also Kopete
receives changes/fixes. This is for the 4.x world, at least (if Kopete is not
ported to 5 the problem is solved, but otherwise the problem still holds).

Ciao
--
Luigi