[kde-community] Incubating project

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 00:31:35 GMT 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It's Italian only for now as here is where we found a community of users and
> content producers, and since most content is initially coming from course
> notes, typing them in LaTeX is one thing, typing + translating them is
> another. ;-)
>
> As Jeremy was explaining, I'm very open to have other languages too,
> eventually very much in the way Wikipedia does, I just don't have the time,
> knowledge and resources to follow language spinoffs properly.
>
> If somebody wants to step up and possibly has already some links within an
> academical institution (at all levels) or has some redistributable material
> to share, you have my total support to open en.wikifm.org or anything else.
>
> Bye,
> -Riccardo

Riccardo, you might list WikiFM at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_textbook

Google found quite a few good collections you could link to:

https://openstaxcollege.org/books - "FREE.  OPEN-SOURCE.  PEER-REVIEWED.
HIGH-QUALITY TEXTBOOKS FOR YOUR COLLEGE COURSE."

https://www.boundless.com/open-textbooks/ - Boundless is pleased to
offer open introductory textbooks, published under the Creative
Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC BY-SA) license.

http://creativecommons.org/tag/open-textbooks

http://studentpirgs.org/open-textbooks - Open textbooks are
high-quality college texts with an "open" copyright license allowing
the material to be freely accessed, shared and adapted.

https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/ - Open Textbook Library: As an
instructor, you want your students to have the best textbooks
possible. Unfortunately, not all students can afford the high cost of
traditional textbooks. You can change that!

http://oerconsortium.org/discipline-specific/ - Find open and free
textbooks that may be suitable for use in community college courses
from the list of Subjects provided. For descriptions of these open
textbooks, see listings in MERLOT and OER Commons. Most of the
textbooks on this list have Creative Commons (CC) open licenses or
GNU-Free Document License. Others are U.S. government documents in the
public domain (PD).

http://collegeopentextbooks.org/ - Funded by an eminent group of
generous sponsors*, College Open Textbooks (COT) is a project of the
Silicon Valley Education Foundation and the Open Doors Group. The COT
Collaborative is collection of colleges, governmental agencies,
education non-profits, and other education-related organizations that
are focused on the mission of driving awareness, adoptions**, and
affordability of open textbooks. Our focus is on community colleges
and other 2-year institutions of higher education and the first two
years (lower division) of 4-year institutions. Some of our activities
also apply to K-12, upper division, graduate school, and life-long
learning.

Such an excellent idea!

Valorie