[kde-community] KDE Manifesto Revision (round 2)

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 17:33:07 GMT 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 November 2013 21:24:21 Eike Hein wrote:
>> +1 from me, too, though iirc native speakers requested 'writable by' :)
>
> You mean it should say:
> * All source materials are hosted on infrastructure available and writable by
> all KDE contributor accounts
>
> Is it correct? I guess the problem is you'd write "available to" and "writable
> by" if I'm not mistaken... but both in the same sentence I wonder if one has
> precedence or something.
>
> Cheers.
> --
> Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net

It's correct to have both "to" and "by" prepositions in the sentence
as it's written.

However, I seems to me that Kévin's question is not about grammar, but
about the implications of the adjectives "available" and "writable" in
the same sentence.

IOW, if the infrastructure is "available to all KDE contributor
accounts", does that subsume, supersede or conflict with the
infrastructure being "writable by all KDE contributor accounts"? And
vice versa. Is it necessary to the intent of the document to have
both?

Otherwise...never mind, maybe this is unnecessary mind fodder.

Carl